Re: No hint on outdated translated docs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: No hint on outdated translated docs
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2018 00:17:30 +0200

Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello everybody,
>
> Bernhard Kleine has pointed out that while it has been problematic for
> years already to use e.g. the German version of the docs, because the
> translation hasn’t been updated in a long time and many new features
> are missing, the German docs do not make any hint of that
> circumstance. What possibilities would there be for that? (e.g. a
> version statement at the top of each page, or some sort of caveat
> notice…)
>
> I could of course open an issue for the feature request right away,
> but I thought I’d ask for opinions first.

I think the translationof organisation would mean that we have the means
of putting

"note: the English documentation might be more up to date".  If we query
the Git repository, we might be more specific:

"Note: the last translation of this node was from xxxxxxx while the
English version is from xxxxxx".

There might be some point in linking to the original anyway in a manner
more obvious than the language selection: while the translators do
excellent work, the originals in English are written (in first versions,
and hopefully at least proofread when rephrased by better documentation
writers) by the actual programmers.  When the English versions are less
than clear to the reader, chances are that the translations pick up a
wrong meaning that would be easier to spot when looking at the original.
The chances of that happening are larger for more technical/internal
stuff.