Re: Quick question about grob interfaces

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Quick question about grob interfaces
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 10:45:36 +0200

> The grob-interfaces are a means to group certain functionality (and
> respective properties.). Whether it's OK for two separate pieces code to
> both use the same property depends on the specific case.  I suspect this
> reuse happens a lot for generic properties such as #'dir (or was it called
> #'direction?).
>
> That said, I don't fully understand your question. What do you want to do?

Basically put all properties of a grob into a vector with fixed
positions.  Treating each interface as one block could be interesting
from a C++ implementation standpoint but if multiple interfaces used in
the same grob can contain the same property, that's not really an option
since virtual inheritance from every single property (rather than
interfaces) would be a nightmare.

At any rate, the kind of operation done in break-substitution.cc looks
like governing enough of LilyPond's core time and memory needs for large
scores that restructuring the data accordingly from the current quite
alist-based approach does not seem amiss.  I'm just trying to figure out
how to best wire the C++ parts of that.