Re: Non-quadratic form of whiteout

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Non-quadratic form of whiteout
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2018 14:27:16 -0400

Hi Lukas,

> @Kieren et al.: Is there really a use-case for 'outline whiteout with
> changing thickness dependent on the angle?

I whiteout my time signatures. Where they are whiteout-ed, I want them to be
'outline whiteout-ed. Optimally, I’d like a 2-3 point horizontal outline (so
that there’s a clear break in slurs that hit the TS "mid-staff"), but a 0.5-1
point vertical outline (so that slurs which *just* graze the top or bottom of
the TS don’t get broken).

What I do now is apply the correct amount of whiteout via the edition-engraver,
because the shape of the slur changes (with layout changes, transpositions,
etc.) and the EE allows me to react more nimbly.

That’s just the most obvious use-case I can think of right now.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info