GSoC in contemporary notations

From: Tsz Kiu Pang
Subject: GSoC in contemporary notations
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 16:58:51 +1100

Hi all,

I am writing to express my interest in working on LilyPond as part of GNU
in the Google Summer of Code.

I was just looking at the project suggestions, and am interested in working
on contemporary notations. As a composer myself, I do find using Lilypond a
very steep learning curve, especially for contemporary music, where a lot
of workarounds are needed. I hope I can use this opportunity to create an
infrastructure for contemporary notations that will make composers' life
easier. I am also interested in creating a package that covers the style of
composers such as Iannis Xenakis or Elliott Carter.

I am just wondering if there are any suggestions in applying for GSoC and
writing a project proposal?

As for qualifications, I did my undergraduate in Music, majored in
Composition during my honours year, so I have good knowledge in
contemporary notation techniques and the capacity to research further if
required. I am currently a Master student in electrical engineering at the
University of Melbourne. I have only started programming last year but now
I am a tutor in programming/computing in C at the University. Though
scheme/guile is not my strong suit yet (I know the basic syntax and list
operations, but still struggling to count the parentheses), I am willing to
learn more and I believe I will have a good command in scheme/guile in a
few weeks.

Kind regards,
Tsz-Kiu