Re: macOS 64-bit

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: macOS 64-bit
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 00:30:01 +0200

Jahrme Risner <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello Marnen,
>
>> My understanding from other posts here (correct me if I'm wrong) is
>> that a major (legal, not technical) roadblock for doing this with GUB
>> is the licensing requirement that seems to require that Xcode be run
>> on Apple hardware, and the lack of consistent availability of Apple
>> hardware for builds.
>
> In my opinion, the largest issue here is that any *developers* working
> to fix/improve/modify LilyPond who do not *personally* have access to
> Apple hardware cannot test how their change will affect Darwin.

No, it means that is prohibited by Apple to use Xcode for compiling
LilyPond with GUB on non-Apple hardware.  This is a restriction
incompatible with the GPLv3 license GUB is under, so current Xcode
versions cannot be made a part of GUB.

It does not preclude someone else compiling LilyPond with Xcode under
whatever native platform they want, but it means that MacOSX compilation
cannot be integrated into GUB and consequently our release process using
the current Xcode SDK.

> With every other system a developer could create a VM to test build
> results (even Windows, though a license would be required) but not so
> with Darwin.

We build our Windows binaries with GUB and upload them essentially
untested.  That may seem surprising, but once stuff makes it through
GUB, it is quite rare that it is inoperative to any significant degree.