Re: gub targets + binary packages

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: gub targets + binary packages
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 10:38:09 +0100

Am Sonntag, den 03.11.2019, 20:19 +0100 schrieb John Mandereau:
> On Fri, 2019-10-18 at 11:00 +0200, Jonas Hahnfeld via lilypond-devel
> wrote:
> > (I didn't bother with
> > freebsd because the binaries don't work AFAICT.)
>
> Do these binaries don't work only because the matching (old) version of
> C stdlib for LilyPond GUB package is not installed on your FreeBSD
> (this is a common issue reported several times on this list), or is
> there some deeper issue?

To be honest I don't know because the binaries don't even start to
execute due to not having the correct libc. So what's the expected
procedure here? There is no libc in the installation tarball, is there
some documentation on what's needed? Do I need to install some
compatibility libraries? (A quick search suggested that they have been
dropped some years ago, but I may be missing something)
If the answer is "copy the libc from GUB" (which is not in the
tarball), I'd expect bad things to happen with two libc from different
"vendors" (BSD vs GNU) that are probably ABI- and possibly API-
incompatible.

Jonas

P.S.: There's also a minor issue that the installer doesn't work out-
of-the-box because the machine architecture for 64-bit processors is
called differently on FreeBSD than what the script expects. But that's
easy to workaround, sure.