Re: Use a pointer for the output parameter of Lily_lexer::scan_word (iss

From: pkx166h
Subject: Re: Use a pointer for the output parameter of Lily_lexer::scan_word (issue 577440044 by address@hidden)
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2020 21:34:30 +0000

On 01/02/2020 21:18, address@hidden wrote:
On 2020/02/01 20:55:22, Dan Eble wrote:
On 2020/02/01 20:10:15, hanwenn wrote:
Can I ask that we don't do this on a code review, but in a separate
thread?
Why?  The review is where the patch meister (James) looks when he
decides
whether to advance the patch through the countdown.  If there were no
activity
here, he might advance the patch to push, not recognizing that it is
controversial.
I marked it DO NOT SUBMIT.

We should discuss it separately, because likely the discussion will
touch on an wider
issue of C++ style and future plans for the code base, and doesn't
pertain to this small
change of the code.

https://codereview.appspot.com/577440044/

What I find helps is the 'waiting' status.

This is often used for those patches that are waiting on 'other' patches to be pushed, or where - such as this seems to be - cases where the patch itself is not bad but that it is likely to have a lot of discussion.

Any dev can change any status but I am getting the impression Hanwenn that you have little time for the tracker than the code review - or at least that is what it seems to me, or maybe you don't see it as significant as the tracker (because it has no code 'in it so to speak). To me the tracker is king, I don't care where a discussion is - have it outside the tracker in emails for all I care, and while it is true that I may move the patch to push without  realising it, I don't do the pushing and ANY dev can either shout in the tracker 'No' or they can change a tracker's status themselves - although it is bad form to down grade another Dev's tracker, we've not had any nasty/bitter arguments that I can tell.

James