German translation

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: German translation
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 11:11:22 +0100

Folks,

[tl;dr: Whom should I contact for improvement suggestions for the German PO file?]

The German PO file contains some translations that seem to suffer from the "false friend"-syndrome, for instance

#: convertrules.py:549
msgid "point-and-click argument changed to procedure."
msgstr "point-and-click-Argument zu Ablauf verändert"

("Ablauf" being a literal translation of 'procedure' that is wrong in a software context) and the famous

#: lexer.ll:947
#, c-format
msgid "unknown escaped string: `\\%s'"
msgstr "Ungültige Fluchtsequenz: »\\%s«"

that you see quite often when using Lilypond on a German system - I think no-one knows what a "Fluchtsequenz" is supposed to be - maybe a sequence of successful prison escapes? (The usual German word would be, perhaps surprisingly, "Escape-Sequenz", but I think as a user-level error message, something like "Unbekanntes Kommando" might even be more helpful.)

What's the right place to send such suggestions to? If there's going to be a new stable release soon, maybe it would be nice to get some of the more amusing translation gaffes fixed in time.

Best
Lukas