Re: Master ahead of staging

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Master ahead of staging
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2020 18:32:25 +0100

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 5:23 PM David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > sorry, my mistake (another reason to move to different tooling.)
>
> I very strongly disagree.  We don't want to move to a tooling where
> material that is untested in its context gets pushed to the resource

You don't understand what I'm trying to say.

If there is a policy that nobody pushes directly to master, the normal
course of action is to enforce that policy using tooling. Both GitLab and
GitHub offer "protected branches", see eg.
https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/protected_branches.html. Gerrit
offers per-branch permissions.

It's not that hard to make it a habit to never push to master but
> instead to staging

it's pretty easy to push to master accidentally, because my shell history
is full of "git push origin HEAD:master" commands.