Re: Accept GUILE 2 without extra configure options (issue 569390043 by a

From: dak
Subject: Re: Accept GUILE 2 without extra configure options (issue 569390043 by address@hidden)
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 07:43:37 -0800

https://codereview.appspot.com/569390043/diff/551480043/aclocal.m4
File aclocal.m4 (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/569390043/diff/551480043/aclocal.m4#newcode760
aclocal.m4:760: guile2.2-config guile-2.2-config guile-config-2.2
guile-config2.2 \
I think that at the current point of time, guile1.8-config should be
preferred over guile2.2-config.  The main advantage that Guile2 offers
currently is that it is more likely to be the installed version.  If
anybody goes to the pain these days of actually installing a Guile-1.8
development package, it is pretty safe to assume that it is for the sake
of compiling LilyPond.

Also, I cannot imagine guile-1.9-config to be recommendable for anything
(I mean, it is somewhere between 1.8 and 2.0) and would not look
explicitly for it.

Yes, this is old code, but when we touch it in order to update to
current realities, we should update to current realities.

Do we even have comparative speed and memory use measurements of Guile2
for make all test doc and some large scores?

https://codereview.appspot.com/569390043/diff/551480043/configure.ac
File configure.ac (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/569390043/diff/551480043/configure.ac#newcode204
configure.ac:204: case "$GUILE_MAJOR_VERSION" in
How is GUILE_MAJOR_VERSION determined?  A cursory read of aclocal.m4 did
not really help.  Guile executable and the Guile development library
will not necessarily be the same version, particularly since more than
one Guile executable can be installed at the same time.

https://codereview.appspot.com/569390043/