Re: Allow parallelism in input/regression/lilypond-book/ (issue 54768004

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Allow parallelism in input/regression/lilypond-book/ (issue 547680043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 12:08:36 +0100

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 12:00 PM <address@hidden> wrote:
> > to answer your original question: I think the \sourcefileline
> statements can
> > differ between snippets written from different lp-book instances, and
> this can
> > trigger a consistency check failure.
>
> So wouldn't it appear that the way to exploit parallelism with
> lilypond-book, short of writing its own jobserver, is to use CPU_COUNT
> like we did before?

I think we should do both: the lilypond runs in lp-book should be
protected by some sort of lock, and we should use both CPU_COUNT=M and
-jN.

then worst case, you have M lilypond processes and N-1 other jobs.

BTW,  you run at -j8 with only 4 CPUs, right? If you have an SSD
drive, this is probably doesn't bring benefits, as there is no I/O
delay any more that you can paper over with CPU bound tasks.