Forge Software Evaluation by FSF

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Forge Software Evaluation by FSF
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 23:22:53 +0100

Hi all,

I was meaning to write on the next steps of switching to new tooling
when I came across this:
https://lwn.net/Articles/813254/rss
https://www.fsf.org/blogs/sysadmin/coming-soon-a-new-site-for-fully-free-collaboration
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Fsf_2019_forge_evaluation

In particular the last page claims with respect to GitLab:
"GNU ethical repo criteria: gitlab.com listed as C, but has been
operating at an F and will be reclassified soon because it sometimes
requires users to run nonfree Google ReCAPTCHA code they have been very
slowly working on moving away from for almost 2 years now [...]"

What do people think about this? Is that serious enough to stop
considering GitLab?

Note that Gerrit is not on the list (probably because it's not a
complete forge software, ie no issues?), so I can't comment on how it
compares with respect to freedom.

Let me see if I can get more information on when they plan to bring the
hosting platform online.

Jonas