Re: 2.21.0 release plans and considerations

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: 2.21.0 release plans and considerations
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2020 09:46:29 +0100

Am Mittwoch, den 04.03.2020, 09:34 +0100 schrieb Han-Wen Nienhuys:
> On Sun, Mar 1, 2020 at 3:12 PM Jonas Hahnfeld <
> address@hidden
> > wrote:
> > For example, I'd very much like #5799 to be part of 2.21.0 to be able
> > to cross-compile to x86_64-w64-mingw32 and show-case a replacement for
> > GUB. However I acknowledge that the changes have at least the potential
> > to break the current process using GUB.
>
> I'm intrigued by the idea of replacing GUB. Can you say something more
> about what you're planning?

I've been working on this: https://github.com/hahnjo/lilypond-binaries/
Before you ask: No, there's not a single line of documentation yet. In
case you still want to give it a try, the order is
 * scripts/get_tools_*.sh (or just install the needed tools via your
system's packet manager; the following scripts don't really care where
the tools come from)
 * scripts/build_native_deps.sh
 * scripts/build_lilypond.sh (expects LILYPOND_TAR to be set to a
result from make dist)
 * scripts/package_tar.sh
There are some more scripts for cross-compilation to mingw (64 bit),
this requires scripts/mingw_install_toolchain.sh to get the tools for
cross-compilation.

The basic idea is to produce native binaries with all dependencies
compiled as static libraries, with dependencies only on the most basic
dynamic libraries such as libc.so, libm.so, libpthread.so et al. This
currently works for Linux and FreeBSD and the result is forwards-
compatible, ie lilypond compiled on CentOS 7 works on basically all
other distributions that have more recent libc's. Same for binaries
compiled on FreeBSD 11, they work on FreeBSD 12.
There's already some work to adapt the scripts to macOS, and I don't
see any reason that the very portable shell scripts should not work on
other Unix systems or architectures.
After 2.21.0 is done, I'll post a more detailed description and also
upload some sample binaries. But you asked for what I'm planning 😉

Jonas