Re: output-distance: treat non-existent files as empty string (issue 583

From: nine . fierce . ballads
Subject: Re: output-distance: treat non-existent files as empty string (issue 583590043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2020 17:03:49 -0800

On 2020/03/05 10:33:57, hanwenn wrote:
> > the script fail on None.strip(), though not the best option, is
still better
> > than treating this as discreetly as the intentional removal of a
test case.

> I disagree. Having the script crash prevents us from forming a
complete
> impression of what a change does, because the crash can hide other
regression
> failures.

I want to make sure that it is clear that I did not say that having the
script crash was the best option, just better than acting like there is
no difference.  Listing no diff when an expected text file is missing
would prevent us from forming a complete impression of what a change
does; I'm concerned that you seem unconcerned about that.

> > These changes deserve some systematic manual testing; I hope you're
covering
> > that.  If this script fails to publish differences when it should,
nobody else
> > involved in the countdown process is going to notice.
>
> this is why I am extending the if case to be symmetric. We already
know that the
> addition of files is handled correctly. Making a minimal change here
avoids some
> QA.

It's not completely clear to me, but what I infer from this is that the
extent of your testing has been to run make check and observe that it no
longer crashes.  Is that right, or have you looked closely enough to
describe how the two cases I previously mentioned are presented now?  My
biggest concern is that table of differences might have no row for the
missing file.  I don't think it's safe to assume that the calling code
handles removal like it handles addition; my reason for believing this
is that I implemented the handling of added test cases, and I did not
aim to handle removed test cases when I did it.

https://codereview.appspot.com/583590043/