Re: Accept GUILE 2 without extra configure options (issue 569390043 by a

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Accept GUILE 2 without extra configure options (issue 569390043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2020 17:13:27 +0100

On Sat, Mar 7, 2020 at 12:41 PM David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On Sat, Mar 7, 2020 at 2:20 AM <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> getting there.  And as long as Guile-2.2 crashes frequently with
> >> segfaults when used within LilyPond,
> >
> > Can you file a bug report for any remaining Guile 2.2 crashes? I am
> > not aware of any.
>
> Just recently two segfaults in Patchy.  Since I don't get more than
> "signal 11" in the log files, there is nothing worth filing.  And since
> they occur intermittently and not reproducibly within the large runs of
> make doc, they will be related to garbage collection and thus even core
> dumps will be of comparatively little utility.  Since running Patchy on

If you can capture a core dump and a back trace, that can at least give us

> Guile-2.2 takes a performance hit of about 40% (that's where my recent
> prolonged doc run times were from)

I would also be interested in more information about this. At what
commit are you seeing a 40% performance hit? AFAICT, it should be
roughly equivalent to guile 1.8 since

 commit e36b7c7ea986418bcfebfba6c6c971db05b77afb
 Author: Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden>
 Date:   Tue Feb 25 21:39:10 2020 +0100

    GUILE2: Do not run GC after processing every file.

> and ends up unreliable as well as not
> representative for 1.8, still our main target, I am not too enthused
> about running Patchy frequently on Guile-2.x with core dumps enabled
> (set ulimit -c 1000000 or so).
>
> How often do you run make doc?

I've been running a fair number of times recently when I was trying to
look into the speed of the build, but I've been mainly waiting for
https://codereview.appspot.com/575750043/ to hit master, so I can
build the docs in Docker too.

Let me try to repro some more.