Re: Calculate download sizes rather than hardcoding them (issue 56734004

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Calculate download sizes rather than hardcoding them (issue 567340043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2020 22:26:30 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> On 2020/03/08 21:07:17, dak wrote:
>> On 2020/03/08 20:49:46, hahnjo wrote:
>> > Hm okay, never mind then. As a plain build (no docs) is working on
> FreeBSD, I
>> > guess we're not coming across these ;-)
>>
>> po files are used for LilyPond proper, so if sed -i would be a problem
> on
>> FreeBSD, my hunch that those lines would be executed in the context of
> a normal
>> build process would be wrong.
>
> Entirely possible that this is dead code in stepmake. It has some
> ifeq ($(strip $(depth)),.)
> which is only true if run from the top directory? Anyway, not in the
> scope of this review.
>
>> I am not too thrilled with the prospect of going
>> through temporary files, and if I change this to use an ed script, I'd
> likely
>> get murdered.
>>
>> On the other hand, the temporary file could just be named $@.tmp
> without much of
>> a problem.  Right?
>
> Probably. But as I'm not really interested in building the docs on
> FreeBSD, we can as well leave it for now and revisit later on.

There is in stepmake/stepmake/texinfo-vars.make

# Recursively scan the file $(1) for @include and @verbatiminclude, search for
# included files within the texinfo include dirs, and return all dependencies.
scan-texi = \
$(foreach f, $(shell test -f $(1) && sed -ne
"/^@\(verbatim\)\?include[[:space:]]/s/@\(verbatim\)\?include//p" $(1)), \
        $(call find-texi,$(f)) \
        $(call scan-texi,$(call find-texi,$(f))) \
)

which contains several GNUisms in the sed script.  And of course,
nothing but GNU Make will work for the Makefiles.

In short: I have no idea whether GNU sed might be prescribed already or
not.