Re: config.status has been broken by issue 5780 "Accept GUILE 2 without

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: config.status has been broken by issue 5780 "Accept GUILE 2 without extra configure options"
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2020 11:36:44 +0100

Jonas Hahnfeld <address@hidden> writes:

> Am Samstag, den 14.03.2020, 11:17 +0100 schrieb David Kastrup:
>> Jonas Hahnfeld <
>> address@hidden
>> > writes:

>> > Exactly my argument in the past. So who is the "main target" in your
>> > opinion? I mostly remember the term "system integrators".
>>
>> Is there a reason we should not be catering well to either?
>
> I still don't understand who your "main target" is. Wrt "system
> integrators" Anthony wrote that breaking compatibility is fine (for
> major versions) as long as there is documentation.

Our current state is breaking things silently and without documentation
that were required to get things working before.

The consequences are different for different people, depending on their
contact with LilyPond and their skill sets in dealing with such
problems.  This is a problem with keeping our current processes
depending on volunteers operating as expected.  That also maps to people
expected to compile their own versions.  Distributions like those for
Debian, FreeBSD and more recently also MacOSX work independently from
our core developer team and should be able to get results they expect.

What is the problem you are trying to address with your "main target"
question?