Re: scripts/build/scan-mf-deps: script to generate MF dependencies (issu

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: scripts/build/scan-mf-deps: script to generate MF dependencies (issue 553700043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2020 22:46:26 +0100

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 8:44 PM <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 2020/03/15 18:54:44, hanwenn wrote:
> within
> the

> > > Not doing this at all.
> > > In cases like this, I begin to question the very fundamental
> > > assumptions. In this case: Do we really need to dynamically generate
> the
> >
> > You didn't answer my question, but I realize it was imperfectly
> stated.
> >
> > My question is: what overall architecture do you propose for the build
> system?
>
> Using whatever makes sense from the GNU build system and reduce the
> maintenance burden of the build system as much as possible. FWIW I fully
> agree with David that the current shortcomings originate from what
> LilyPond builds around Autoconf, GNU make et al. Using standard
> solutions (aclocal, possibly Automake for dependencies of C++ files)
> should enable us to reuse what others have already solved.

I don't disagree with the analysis of the root cause, but getting rid
of the recursive make for a non-recursive one means a complete
rewrite, and not one that can be done incrementally. When you do a
complete rewrite, you might as well reconsider the fundamental
assumptions, one of which is "use the GNU build stack".

I have plenty of experience with Automake, GNU make, building
lilypond, and build systems in general. My conclusion of this
experience is that it is a pretty poor stack, and for that reason I am
experimenting with something that is completely different.

I have simplfied the change under review. I'm sure there is a sed
incantation that could achieve the same, but I don't want to bother
learning it. If you can suggest one, I'd be happy to use it.