Re: new procedure with GitLab CI

From: Kevin Barry
Subject: Re: new procedure with GitLab CI
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2020 08:57:51 +0100

The fast-forward rebase has two advantages that I can think of:
- the git history is cleaner/easier to parse
- it prevents the situation that sometimes arises where a couple of
  patches - that pass testing independently, but will break when
  combined - from making it into master (and breaking it)

If we move to merge commits our git history will mostly have a merge as
every other log entry. It's a small loss, but a tolerable one in my
opinion. I don't know how people feel about the second issue. The
staging branch existed in the past to stop such breaks making it into
master. Maybe it's OK since our source of truth is still on Savannah? I
don't have strong opinions about it.

Is it a crazy idea to consider some automatic way of doing the rebase +
merge on all branches in Patch::push state? I believe Gitlab allows for
scheduled pipeline execution. (I'm just throwing the idea out there.)

Kevin