Re: Texinfo - manual line breaks in URLs?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Texinfo - manual line breaks in URLs?
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 11:08:56 +0200 (CEST)

>> Is there a reason for this inconsistency? How is it supposed to be?

> From what I gather, that’s merely because Werner’s been looking
> elsewhere for the past 16 years :-)
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/lilypond.git/commit/?id=cae1b39741a43547e3f4add29416f24d681e1156

:-)

> Now, I’m not convinced this is entirely necessary for reasonably
> short URLs (and it may even compromise readability).  But it
> absolutely is (or rather, should be) warranted for long URLs,
> particularly where the PDF manuals are concerned.

I believe that it is no longer necessary to insert `@/` under normal
circumstances.  I would rather go the other way, this is, removing all
`@/` commands.

The `@uref` texinfo command has been greatly improved in the last few
years; see chapter 'URL Line Breaking' in the texinfo info pages.

BTW, I'm a fan of breaking URLs like

  foo
  .bar
  /baz

instead of

  foo.
  bar/
  baz

to avoid potential confusion with full stops and the like.  This
feature can be activated with

  @urefbreakstyle before

(this has an effect only for PDF output).  Shall we use that?

    Werner