Re: [RFC] Use GitLab Milestones

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: [RFC] Use GitLab Milestones
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2020 17:50:38 +0200

Am Dienstag, den 23.06.2020, 15:54 +0200 schrieb Valentin Villenave:
> On 6/22/20, Jonas Hahnfeld <hahnjo@hahnjo.de> wrote:
> > In short, I'd like to propose that we replace the labels Fixed_x_y_z
> > with milestones x.y.z and use these to track which issues were fixed
> > for a particular release. This has the advantage of a) less labels
> > which makes the drop-downs more usable and b) the possibility to close
> > milestones. After all, we're not going to fix bugs in already released
> > versions and they don't need to be available for new issues.
>
> Sounds good.  I only have a few questions:
>
> - How do you plan to indicate backports? (Granted, this is a very
> limited subset.)

Yes, that's the question for the 277 issues with at least two labels.
I'd argue that we're interested in the first released version. So maybe
just removing the unstable release?

> - What would become the process of marking issues as Fixed/Verified?
> At what stage do we “close” them? (I’d like to make sure that anything
> that has been fixed on master will be double-checked once the next GUB
> release is out; marking the milestone as “closed” wouldn’t offer much
> granularity in that regard, would it?)
>
> - By the way if I understand you correctly, the milestone would be
> “closed” _prior_ to the release? Then how do we validate bugfixes?

I think we're in confusion here: Closing a milestone does nothing to
its issues. You just can't assign new issues to the milestone and it
won't show up in the dropdown. So I think there's no change to issue
verification, which for me currently means: close the issue, set
Status::Fixed and the version it was fixed in (a milestone). After all
issues have been assigned, we can close the milestone (probably some
days after the version has been released).

> > we should disable notifications of the lilypond project for that time frame.
>
> OK.

To be clear: I'll do this from the project side (there's a global
"Disable email notifications" for the project), no need to make any
change for your personal notification settings.

Jonas