Re: Texinfo - manual line breaks in URLs?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Texinfo - manual line breaks in URLs?
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2020 10:27:55 +0200 (CEST)

> with the last fixes in texinfo.tex, the output looks much better
> now, the @verbatim indentation is fixed,

Yes.

> the URL spacing is sometimes better, sometimes worse than with the
> old texinfo.tex version, IMHO.

This I still have to investigate.  Will do that in the next few days.

> The issue with the additional space in front of manually sorted
> index entries is fixed for most entries,

Indeed, but there remain problems for non-letter cases like '!' or
'<'.  Will report this to Gavin soon, too.

> the problem persists for entries like
>
> @funindex @sortas[fooA} foo
> @funindex @sortas{fooB} \foo
>
> however.

It's the same issue, I guess.  BTW, I've just noticed that '\bracket'
appears twice in Appendix E of the NR.  Reason is that someone added

  @funindex \bracket

to `expressive.itely` without a proper '@sortas' tag (right now this
is an educated guess, but I'm rather sure about that).

To avoid that we should probably add a script that does the following.

  (a) Scan the documentation to check whether there is both

        @funindex foo

      and

        @funindex \foo

      at the same time.  Emit warnings for such entries, telling the
      user that '@sortas' must be used.

  (b) Scans the documentation for index entries that have '@sortas'
      and warn if similar entries are found without '@sortas'.

> I tried to understand how this whole macro expansion magic works,
> reading the 'TeXbook' back and forth, but this is currently beyond
> my depth.

:-)

> Do you think this one can be regarded as a regression in
> texinfo.tex, too?

Yes.

> I'm asking, because I was not sure, if the way we use the @sortas
> macro is intended.  (Defining our own macro @funindex that uses
> @sortas and then putting in another @sortas between @funindex and
> the argument...)

Well, I don't think that our '@funindex' macro is the culprit.  I
guess it is rather a general problem with @sortas, and hopefully Gavin
will find a work-around (or a real fix).

   Werner