Re: GSoC 2020: make hangs when making fonts

From: Owen Lamb
Subject: Re: GSoC 2020: make hangs when making fonts
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 14:35:42 -0700

Hi Jean,

If Fontforge is too old, it never told me so. It generated font files
perfectly well over the last month. Running sudo apt update didn't show any
newer versions.

I can't help but notice that CI failed to build some commits on Friday due
to font issues, the same day that my issue first showed itself. It might be
possible that some update made a dependency conk out on particular setups,
including LilyDev. How that would happen is beyond me, though.

As a side note, when I was first learning MetaFont, I made the letter-beta
glyph described in the tutprial to test everything out. The .mf file has
been sitting in my VM's home directory since then. This week, when I opened
Fontforge to make sure it worked properly, I absent-mindedly clicked on
letter-beta.mf when it requested to open a file. To my surprise, Fontforge
actually opened it up and showed it as a glyph. However, it looks
wonky--not at all how I remember it looking when I first made the file.
Attached is the source file and a screenshot of Fontforge's interpretation
of the glyph. Not sure if it'll lead anywhere, but you never know...

I'd like to see if my issue is reproducible on a fresh LilyDev VM hosted
elsewhere. (In particular, my host machine's Windows 10, but I'm not sure
that should matter.) Any volunteers willing to try that?

Thanks for being patient with me,
Owen