Re: internationalized snippets

From: Jean-Charles Malahieude
Subject: Re: internationalized snippets
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 15:14:42 +0200

Le 13/09/2020 à 12:30, Han-Wen Nienhuys a écrit :
Jean (or should I say Jean Abou?) found the following gem:

https://github.com/lilypond/lilypond/blob/a2f89036bc6ed0147385ef04d1201cad3ad10fa7/python/book_snippets.py#L368

I think the problem was introduced in

https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/commit/d4a36739fbf2b85e3a6c85fdf76b482b8c07b656

from May 2010.  This means that the support for internationalized
snippets through gettext on variables and comments hasn't worked in
over 10 years (and nobody noticed?). To me this seems like a strong
signal that we should get rid of this feature.

thoughts?

I think most translators noticed this when it appeared, but without anybody tackling it. And it used to work fine and was valuable for non-native English speaker.

The advantages were:

– variables and comments appeared translated, eventually combined to the title (doctitleLL) and explanation (texidocLL). I consider it unfortunate when explanations are given through comments within the code.

– lesser use of @KEEPLY before @lilypond – CG 5.9.2 states:
"Please keep verbatim copies of music snippets (in @lilypond blocs). However, some music snippets containing text that shows in the rendered music, and sometimes translating this text really helps the user to understand the documentation; in this case, and only in this case, you may as an exception translate text in the music snippet, and then you must add a line immediately before the @lilypond block, starting with

    @c KEEP LY

Otherwise the music snippet would be reset to the same content as the English version at next make snippet-update run."