Re: RFC: rethink horizontal alignment of mid-staff bar numbers

From: Kevin Barry
Subject: Re: RFC: rethink horizontal alignment of mid-staff bar numbers
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2020 14:27:25 +0000

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 01:37:34PM +0000, Graham King wrote:
> I think Gould's positioning looks _slightly_ better, except at
> line-beginnings where I definitely prefer lilypond's.  Moreover, the
> position immediately after a bar line is heavily-contested
> real-estate, as your examples make clear.  Therefore it would be good
> to retain the option to preserve the status quo, especially where
> convert-ly might otherwise cause skyline changes to existing scores.
Thank you for your input!

Jean's code makes it possible to restore LilyPond's current behaviour
with a single override:
\override Score.BarNumber.self-alignment-X = #1
The examples in the pdf differ only in that value:
- LilyPond: 1
- This MR: 0
- Gould: 1
- Even farther to the right: 1.55 (I'm not sure how Jean Abou chose that
  value)
So, at the very least, the added code will make it easier for users to
choose their preferred alignment. If it turns out that most people
prefer to keep LilyPond's current behaviour I will still submit a merge
request for Jean Abou's alignment code, just with a default value that
preserves current behaviour.

I appreciate that you have given a nuanced response. Practically
speaking, the vast majority of scores only have bar numbers at the
beginning of a line, so I will simplistically categorise your response
as in favour of keeping LilyPond's current behaviour.

Kevin