Re: Summer of Code inquiry

From: 98123981293 1293812397123
Subject: Re: Summer of Code inquiry
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 13:00:00 -0500

 >The remaining ideas are still worth to consider, however, the mentioned
mentors might not be available anymore.  If you have further ideas please
tell us.
Ok; the project concerning contemporary notation looks interesting and like
it may leverage my background; per that problem description, re: specific
composers: Helmut Lachenmann's notation is becoming widespread, so perhaps
it would be worthwhile to engrave an entire score by this composer and
develop custom Scheme extensions for doing so. Also, thank you for the
Gitlab link and tip on "Frog" problems; I'll get set up there and start
watching for things I can help on.

Further ideas: speaking of recursive acronyms, the bACH (Automated Composer
Helper) library for Max/MSP went open source this year; they include a
basic Lilypond export function, but it's quite buggy and not up to date. I
did fork it to play around with it, but progress is slow going since I
don't know C/C++ yet (bACH is mostly written in these two languages). The
two developers are both very busy, and not frequent Lilypond users, so I
thought it might be nice to have the bACH package and Lilypond learn to
talk to each other in a deeper way given that both communities are now open
source (well sort of, you still need Max to run bACH...but I wonder if in
the future they intend to release it as an independent program; it's now a
decade old). Including a basic 'export to bach' command in Lilypond might
be easy enough. I don't know if any of this is a priority for Lilypond
itself, but just thought I'd mention it since you asked if I had ideas.

-Kyle