Re: xdvipdfmx:fatal: Unable to find TFM file "latt1095".

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: xdvipdfmx:fatal: Unable to find TFM file "latt1095".
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 19:56:55 +0100

Am Montag, den 23.11.2020, 11:17 +0100 schrieb Werner LEMBERG:

> > > Why?  IMHO those two TFM files are to be handled *exactly* the
> > > same way as all other generated files by TeXLive, which puts
> > > things by default into a directory tree in $HOME.
> >
> > On my system, larm1095 and latt1095 are the *only* fonts that end
> > up in $HOME.
>
> I think you either don't use TeX a lot, or your use-cases are very
> restricted.  As soon as I update TeXLive, I have to regenerate the
> format files by `fmtutil-user`, which are all stored in $HOME.
> Similarly, I have to regenerate various `.map` files by calling
> `updmap-user` to integrate my private fonts into TeX.  Even for
> direct LilyPond work I need some local files: To view the
> `fetaXXX.dvi` proof sheet files the bitmap font `black.600pk` and its
> metric file `black.tfm` must be generated.

Maybe my use-cases are restricted in that I don't switch away from some
of the most-commonly used fonts, but having many local user fonts is on
the other extreme of the scale, I would say.

> > And for that reason, I think that building LilyPond on a fresh
> > system should leave nothing behind after purging the build tree.
>
> I strongly disagree.  It's definitely not LilyPond's job to decide
> where the TeX system stores its internal files.

That's not what I'm proposing here, but I do think LilyPond's build
system should not mess with global user state.

> In other words, the build infracture has to adjust this, to be
> handled outside of LilyPond.

What is the down-side of LilyPond generating its needed fonts locally?
After all, the build system is even messing around with system-wide
fonts like TeX Gyre and URW++ which I would argue is far worse.

Jonas