Re: overfull lines in IR

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: overfull lines in IR
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 13:14:29 +0100 (CET)

>> Right now, some overlong lines are auto-generated in the Internals
>> Reference.  [...]
>
> It seems to me that during the creation of the documentation,
> expansion of the property value should be prevented.

Continuing my monologue...

I guess that if we have

  foo = #bar

in LilyPond then `bar` gets unavoidably expanded.  This makes it
impossible to document it properly in an automated way.

I'm not a Scheme guru but I guess we would need a function or macro to
prevent expansion for stuff that gets auto-documented.  For example, I
could imagine that we have

  foo = #(auto-document 'bar)

(or whatever syntax would be appropriate) instead; the right side
expands `bar` for normal usage but becomes the string `#bar` while
running LilyPond's auto-documentation stuff.

Would this be feasible?  It would uglify source code files but
enormously improve the IR.

Are there better ideas?

    Werner