Re: Parts with differing volta brackets

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: Parts with differing volta brackets
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 15:25:56 -0500

On Dec 8, 2020, at 14:14, Martin Neubauer <mrtnnbr@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/12/2020 17:03, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>>> I would try moving the bar line engraver to the staff level
>>
>> Yes, that was my point! ;)  As I understood, Dan was asking for a
>> “compelling case” to have a single score with voltas that don’t match
>> vertically — seems like this is one, no?
> (And judging by Dan's
> reply I might quite likely misunderstood the intent behind his question…)

After taking another look at Kieren's suggested case (a mere three months
later), I would do the same as for the snippet cited in the OP.  There is an
interval in which all players repeat the same measure a number of times decided
by one of the players; but leading up to and leading away from that, there is
no freedom.  The clearest presentation would unroll the repetition and mark up
the one special measure.
—
Dan