Re: SMuFL support: matching glyph names 1

From: Abraham Lee
Subject: Re: SMuFL support: matching glyph names 1
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 17:02:30 -0600

This is great, Owen! One thing to keep in mind is that most applications
don’t access glyphs by name like LilyPond does. They access by codepoint.
So, in the vein of making Emmentaler SMuFL compliant, codepoint will be
more import than name. You may already be taking this into account, but if
not, aside from name mapping, you ought to consider how the glyphs should
be remapped to the SMuFL code points. LilyPond doesn’t care if the glyphs
even have a codepoint. I’ve created numerous fonts with extra symbols that
don’t have a codepoint at all and it works wonderfully.

That all said, I’d recommend this: use LilyPond’s recognized names, use
SMuFL code points. That may simplify the effort somewhat.

Keep up the awesome work!

Best,
Abraham