AVG Antivirus stopped LilyPond PDF generation

From: Karlin High
Subject: AVG Antivirus stopped LilyPond PDF generation
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 12:31:11 -0500

I am unsure which mailing list is best suited for this report. A LilyPond user called for help with errors of the following form:

"
Converting to `test.pdf'...

warning: `(gs -q -dNODISPLAY -dNOSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -dAutoRotatePages=/None -dPrinted=false ./tmp--tmp-4710074)' failed (1)

fatal error: failed files: "C:/Users/user/Desktop/My songs/test.ly"

Exited with return code 1.
"

This is coming from Windows 10 Pro 21H1, LilyPond 2.23.3, Frescobaldi 3.1.3. It looked to me like GhostScript was unable to write the PDF, the sort of error that would happen if directory permissions or file locking was interfering somehow.

But it turned out to be AVG Antivirus causing the PDF generation failure. Disabling the antivirus fixed the problem, PDFs would then generate just fine. Re-enabling the antivirus also re-enabled the problem.

The product was AVG Free 21.7.3196, definitions 21.7.3196. It has now been replaced, all seems OK, reporting this for future reference.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA