Fwd: Manipulating instrument names and staff group names

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Fwd: Manipulating instrument names and staff group names
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 11:07:17 -0500

Hello developers!

Thanks to Lukas and Jean, I’ve got a working LilyDev environment *and* have
successfully done the GitLab branch/push/delete/etc. thing. In other words: For
the first time in almost 20 years of Pond-ing, I’m ready to actively contribute
code directly to the codebase!!

So… first bit of business, carried over from a -user thread:

> From: Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr <mailto:jean@abou-samra.fr>>
> Subject: Re: Manipulating instrument names and staff group names
> Date: November 6, 2021 at 4:08:15 PM EDT
> To: Kieren MacMillan <kieren_macmillan@sympatico.ca
> <mailto:kieren_macmillan@sympatico.ca>>
> <mailto:lilypond-user@gnu.org>>
>
>> 2. Is there a tag/label on GitLab which identifies all and only those issues
>> which don’t (or at least shouldn’t likely) require any C++ work?
>
> There isn't. We had Frog in the past (good for beginners,
> not language-specific), but it was practically unused and
> the issues tagged were not actually so easy. Feel free to
> propose something on the devel list though.

My goal is to be able to search the issues by language(s) required [i.e.,
filter out anything that requires more than Scheme], sort the list by
difficulty [ascending], and start hacking away from the top. In order to do
this, I imagine we’d need tags/labels for both “language(s)” and “difficulty”.
I don’t want to clutter up the label-space… but I offer that adding something
would help beginners like me to feel comfortable jumping in.

1. “Language(s)”. While I would love it to be one tag per language involved
(C++, Scheme, Python) — which would allow really granular searching/filtering —
that might be overkill for everyone else. Maybe just one tag (e.g.,
“Scripting”) for things that don’t require recompilation?

2. “Difficulty”. Any multi-level (and thus multi-tag) system would be fine, as
long as it’s at least three levels (e.g., Easy, Medium, Hard); optimal would
be, say, a scale from 1 to 10 (e.g., Difficulty-1, Difficulty-2, etc.).

As a first “Frog Task”, I’d be happy to do a pass through all ~1,000 currently
open issues and do my best to apply at least the right Language tag(s); I could
also take a guess at the Difficulty level (but might, in many cases, be way off
to start!) which more experienced developers could re-tag as necessary.

The obvious alternative to all of this is for me to have an assigned “mentor”,
who would farm out “the right next task”, taking into account my skill set, the
language(s) and difficulty of the issue, etc. But I don’t want to add ongoing
work to anyone else’s plate, so I figured the suggestion above might be
superior.

Thoughts?
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)