Re: TimeSignature with note in denominator

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: TimeSignature with note in denominator
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2021 20:50:38 +0100

Kieren MacMillan <kieren_macmillan@sympatico.ca> writes:

> Notes/Questions:
>
> 1. I’ve modified \time to accept a pair instead of a fraction — this
> is not strictly necessary for the examples shown, but is in
> anticipation of allowing the second value to be a string (e.g., "4.")
> or dotted duration (?). Does this plan make the most sense (especially
> with respect to backwards compatibility, which I believe is maintained
> here?) or is there a better way?

I don't see the point in not introducing a separate command for what is
considerably different functionality.

> 2. Is
>
>   #:note (ly:make-duration (inexact->exact (/ (log den) (log 2))) 0 1) DOWN
>
> the best way to accomplish what I want *at this point*?

No.  There is (integer-length den) for getting what amounts to the
binary log (offset by 1).  But there does not seem to be a point in not
having the user enter a dotted duration in the first place if that is
what you want to see.

> 3. Is there an ly:string->duration [or similar] function, that will
> take "4." and turn it into a duration that I can use to generate the
> right glyph(s)?

Just don't use a string to start with.