Re: TimeSignature with note in denominator

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: TimeSignature with note in denominator
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 10:41:46 -0500

Hi all,

I’m not sure whether I’m waiting for others to move this discussion forward…?

Assuming I’m not:

1. In *my* mind, the optimal situation *from the user/UI perspective* would be
to have a single public interface

   \time BLAH FOO BAR etc.

which would gracefully and transparently handle all possible time signature
demands: simple and compound sigs, all possible “denominator” representations,
beat structures, etc. My first question in this regard: Am I wrong [from the
user/UI perspective]? I totally get that it may be unadvisable from the
programmers’ perspective (and for sure from backwards-compatibility
perspective, etc.) — my question here is more one of Lilypond programming
philosophy.

2. Regardless of the more general philosophical state… What’s my next move on
this patch? It sounded to my [dev-]noob ears like a number of people out there
(Dan, Werner, etc.) had concerns about my idea to “bunt” by just adding a new
denominator style to the TimeSignature grob. Do I wait for more input? Please
let me know the protocol — I have lots of ideas I’d like to turn into patches,
but I’m still at the bottom of the “process and culture” learning curve.

Thanks,
Kieren.

> On Nov 8, 2021, at 8:26 PM, Kieren MacMillan <kieren_macmillan@sympatico.ca>
> wrote:
>
> Hi Dan,
>
>> The \compoundMeter command would like a word with you (and the
>> \compound-meter markup command is standing behind it).
>
> Would *love* to have that discussion. Send them over to my place!
>
>> How far do you intend to push this style?  Are you going to be content with
>> a single denominator or allow stuff like
>>
>>   2   1            2+2+3
>>   q   q.             8
>
> Optimally, yes. But right now I’m trying to get a few singles in before
> swinging for the fences…
>
> Cheers,
> Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)