make all fails (help2man cannot find info for lilypond because lilypond

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: make all fails (help2man cannot find info for lilypond because lilypond cannot find libguile.so.17)
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 22:02:17 -0800

Well, I gave it the ol' college try and did a bunch of searching through the mailing list archives, but I am afraid I am getting no closer to a working build. During the build process, the compiled lilypond is unable to locate libguile.so.17 which results in help2man being unable to do its job.

I suspect the problem is trying to use a locally-built guile 1.8 in order to not disturb the system guile 2.2 installation. Threads on the lists suggest that such an approach should work, but perhaps that information is no longer valid.

NOTE: Manually specifying the library path...

/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 \
  --library-path /opt/guile-1.8/lib/ \
  out/bin/lilypond --version

...works and reports "GNU LilyPond 2.23.5 (running Guile 1.8)". As such, the build process seems to be pretty close to working. But by the time help2man needs to run, the library path information is lost.

-- Aaron Hill