spacing/breaking with header considered separate from music

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: spacing/breaking with header considered separate from music
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 10:02:03 -0500

Hi all,

I've always wanted Lilypond to have the following (related) abilities:
  1. Consider header and music separately in the spacing/breaking calculations;
and
  2. Be able to force systems-on-first-page separately from systems-per-page
[et al.].

Obviously the equivalent behaviour can be accomplished "manually", as I've done
in my scores through a tedious combination of bookparts, edition-engraver
injections, etc. I'm just inquiring about whether an automagic solution is
possible.

In very high-level terms (e.g. "it would touch these general areas of the code;
difficulty = x/100"), what would be the scope of the work involved to make this
kind of control possible?

Thanks,
Kieren.