Re: TimeSignature with note in denominator

From: Flaming Hakama by Elaine
Subject: Re: TimeSignature with note in denominator
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 19:47:32 -0800

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that.

Really, I was just saying that I was unaware that the \time function had
parser rules in lyrics versus music contexts.

In general, though, whether it is lyrics context or music context, I agree
with this point:

> My point was merely that -- independently of the
> specific case at hand here -- there are technicalities
> that cannot be avoided. So I was trying to explain
> why LilyPond developers may make decisions of
> syntax that sometimes even them would like to see
> differently if only considering the intuitiveness, and
> not the special cases, the programmability, the
> possibility/ease of writing good error messages
> for invalid input, the flexibility of the parser
> tooling, etc.

Yes, while we might want to start brainstorming ideas about syntax that
seems expressive, given the existing syntax and parse rules, many of the
obvious choices would not be available, since those symbols already have
meanings.

> I don't have much to add, and the discussion is
> already well-furnished, so I won't comment
> further on the specific topic for now.
>
> Kind regards,
> Jean

Thanks,

Elaine Alt
415 . 341 .4954                                           "*Confusion is
highly underrated*"
elaine@flaminghakama.com
Producer ~ Composer ~ Instrumentalist ~ Educator