Re: [RFC] Moving to Guile 2.2 and away from GUB

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: [RFC] Moving to Guile 2.2 and away from GUB
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 14:31:10 +0100

Jonas Hahnfeld writes:

> Am Samstag, dem 27.11.2021 um 12:43 +0100 schrieb Jan Nieuwenhuizen:
>> Carl Sorensen writes:
>>
>> > I think GUB was a great idea, but it has proven difficult to maintain.
>> > And the creator of GUB (Jan), has indicated that he thinks it is not
>> > worth continuing to work on.  So GUB has been a dead man walking for
>> > some time.
>>
>> FWIW, Han-Wen is the initial author of GUB
>>

>> https://gitlab.com/janneke/gub/-/commit/34095019c86ced7dc3be79e306b7a7b45e3ab909
>>
>> in an effort to combine the Darwin and MinGW cross build
>> scripts/makefiles.
>>
>> But yeah, some 5 years ago
>>
>>     https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2016-03/msg00204.html
>>
>> I already proposed using GNU Guix, making use of its excellent cross
>> build system and creation of universal binaries.
>
> The problem is there is no such thing as cross-compilation for recent
> macOS

Yeah, the Darwin cross build would have to be ported to Guix; that would
be quite some work, but then it could benefit many.

> I have never deeply looked into GNU Guix, but from my understanding
> it's a general solution that will probably involve dynamic libraries,
> again getting us into all sorts of trouble

Yes, Guix uses dynamic libraries, and so do its universal binaries.  I'm
not aware of any sort trouble with that.

FWIW, Jean pointed out that my remark came too late, and inappropriately
so.  Sorry about that.

Greetings,
Janneke

--