Re: LilyPond | Various doc issues (!1095)

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: LilyPond | Various doc issues (!1095)
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 13:31:00 +0100 (CET)

   Le 05/01/2022 11:30, Han-Wen Nienhuys <[1]hanwenn@gmail.com> a écrit :

   On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 7:55 PM Jean Abou Samra (@jeanas)

   <[2]gitlab@mg.gitlab.com> wrote:

   Jean Abou Samra commented on a discussion on
   Documentation/en/notation/notation-appendices.itely:

   >[about InstrumentName spanners]

   3289

   +@strong{Spanners} are a class of grobs that span up something in

   3290

   +the horizontal direction; in most cases they contain the word

   On a personal note, I find the use of spanners misleading for these and
   would very much like to see them converted to breakable items like bar
   numbers, etc. That would be the main part

   Converting them to breakable items adds 3 grobs per break-point, so it

   has a certain cost. Since these items don't participate much in the

   formatting process, there is little benefit to compensate for the

   cost.

   Yes, I know this is what prompted to convert these to spanners in the
   first place. Of course, changing them back would require benchmarking.

   If the overhead is noticeable, I suspect it could be at least
   alleviated by adding is_live () checks in a bunch of places doing
   expensive processing; that might be some work but it might also benefit
   performance independently from instrument names and system start
   delimiters. But I say this without being good at profiling or improving
   performance in general.