Re: Bar lines in hymns

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: Bar lines in hymns
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 15:36:46 -0500

On Dec 20, 2021, at 19:03, Dan Eble <dan@lyric.works> wrote:

> On Dec 20, 2021, at 16:46, Karlin High <karlinhigh@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 12/19/2021 1:44 PM, Dan Eble wrote:
>>> Does anyone know a term for this bar line or practice?
>>
>> From a music tradition based on older American hymnals, I know this as a
>> "phrase bar."
>
> Thank you.  That is the name I was planning to suggest.

I have a mind to generalize the commands for Gregorian divisiones so that they
create breathing signs, bar lines, or scripts over bar lines, according to
context properties.  That will serve this case and more, and requires no new
terminology.  \section and \finalis would be synonyms, but the other three can
be left to the user to name as they please, for example,

  phraseDiv = \divisioMinima

—
Dan