Re: [translations] How to get started

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: [translations] How to get started
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 12:47:52 +0100

Hi Werner

translations@ list has been dismissed.
Same for the translation branch you mentioned below. Now translators work on the master branch just like the developers. The Contributor Guide contained wrong information, but this has been fixed lately and the updated manuals should appear online as soon as 2.23.6 is released. In the meanwhile you'd better read the CG manual you built yourself locally.

If you have set up everything, you can start working on a translation this way.
First, checkout the master branch and update your local copy:

git checkout master
git pull origin master

(I suppose that origin is the lilypond repository and fork is your fork repository. You can check with the command `git remote --verbose`)

Create a new branch, e.g.:

git checkout -b doc-de-20220120

List the files to be updated, to get an idea of the amount of work or to choose which files you want to start with:

cd Documentation
make ISOLANG=de check-translation | grep 'diff --git'

Open the diff output:

make ISOLANG=de check-translation | less -R

Put the terminal on one side of your screen and open a text editor on the other side.
You can now start updating the files.
When you've completed the update of a file, you can mark it as translated by updating the committish at the top of the file. This is explained correctly in the CG manual.

Let me know if you have any problem.