Re: PATCHES - Countdown for February 5th

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: PATCHES - Countdown for February 5th
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 15:44:51 -0700

Hello Jean,

On 2022-02-03 13:46, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
<snipped>

Ah, I understand, but I think the practice is to
ensure 24 hours since the MR has been _created_,
the idea being that just the 48 hours of countdown
would be a bit short before merging the patch.
An MR that has seen recent _updates_ while having
been created earlier is fine (and this one is
2 months old :-).

I see you have queried the status of the open thread; thanks for that.

The diffs in your commits of yesterday seem to be relatively trivial to me, but I'm not competent to judge. I've seen cases where a missing comma cratered a database, ( I once managed an IT shop for a small city, where we wrote our own programming in a 3.5GL), so I lean to giving the extra review time. Put another way, I want to avoid cases of my grandfather's axe: best axe I ever had, only replaced the handle 3 times and the head twice! I would say the MR is now a day old, having had commits added, rather than 2 months old, based on initial creation.

The open thread seems to be regarding a matter of policy, rather than a specific aspect of the MR. To me, that is something which needs direct and specific addressing, perhaps on the -devel list.

Again, I don't want to be an obstacle, just need the dev's guidance on how rigid I should be. Thanks for your comments, Jean, and I hope I can count on your patience as get settled into the role.

Cheers,

Colin