Re: Future tag names for releases

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Future tag names for releases
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 22:04:06 +0100

Le 16/03/2022 à 21:57, Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on LilyPond development a écrit :
Hi all,

while trying to round up the procedure for future releases, I've come
across one point that I don't particularly like, and that are the tag
names in the git repository. For example, the latest version 2.23.6 is
tagged as release/2.23.6-1, which leads to the quite ugly and long link
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/releases/release%252F2.23.6-1
because the forward slash needs to be URL-encoded.

Right now, these tag names are "mandated" by GUB and also used for the
binaries. But as we move away from that system, we might as well change
the template to something shorter, such as only "2.23.7" with the quite
nice URL https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/releases/2.23.7 This
would drop the superfluous "release/" prefix (probably still stemming
from CVS times?) and the "-1" suffix for the buildnumber, which was
essentially unused since 2.19.37 and doesn't have an equivalent in the
new system.

Objections, thoughts?

+1 from me.

Jean