Re: Scheme pattern for retrieving data in objects

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Scheme pattern for retrieving data in objects
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2022 08:32:31 -0400

Hi Han-Wen,

> Over the years, I've become extremely wary of syntactic sugar: it adds
> an extra barrier to usage/development because everyone not only has to
> learn Scheme, they also have to learn the (lilypond specific) idioms
> involved.

I'm curious you say that, since my experience is precisely the opposite: I've
had far better results "selling" Lilypond to people using syntactic sugar than
basically anything else I can identify. The people I’ve "converted" all want to
be able to type things like

   \reverseMusic \foo

rather than learning how to write the equivalent function in Scheme. In other
words, syntactic sugar keeps them from learning Scheme as opposed to having to
learn it.

Am I missing something? Is my experience unique?
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info
‣ email: kieren@kierenmacmillan.info