Re: etags regex for Lilypond & LY_DEFINE* tags

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: etags regex for Lilypond & LY_DEFINE* tags
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 23:14:29 +0200

Hi John,

Le 24/04/2022 à 21:10, John Wheeler a écrit :
To facilitate using emacs xref in lilypond work, I wrote a script to assemble the needed TAGS file.  The unique feature of the script is that it includes the regex to find tags in Lilypond (.ly) files as well as tags defined in LY_DEFINE*  macros, in addition to the normal c++, python, lisp, scheme, yacc, and Makefile  tags.

Is there any interest in including such a script in the Lilypond source tree,  perhaps in a new scripts/emacs directory?

scripts/auxiliar/ is well-suited to that sort of thing, but there
hasn't been agreement on including helpers like that in the sources
(with the maintenance promise it entails). Is it a large script?
If so, it needs some consideration. If not, can it fit in an @example
somewhere in the CG? That might also make it more visible.

I'm using Emacs, but prefer 'git grep' for this task (or just opening
the right source file directly: ly:something-do-whatever is usually
in lily/something-scheme.cc, ly:something-interface::calc-foo in
lily/something-interface.cc, etc.). Is there anyone out there who
would use this?

If this has been done before and published, could someone give a pointer to where I could find it?

Not that I'm aware of, but then, I have "only" been around on this
list for about two years.

Best,
Jean