Request for Information: Info file install/uninstall decisions

From: John Wheeler
Subject: Request for Information: Info file install/uninstall decisions
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 20:14:04 -0500

All,

I am looking for any information that can help me understand
decisions made a year or so ago relating to the install/uninstall
process for info files.

First, why is the default 'make install' behavior to not install
the web and snippets info docs or the images?

Second, why is it assumed that any install prefix other than
/usr/... will only be used for preparing distribution packages,
and not to update the info dir in such locations?

Third, why is all the dircategory and direntry data concentrated
in the lilypond-web.info file?

My motivaton: I tried to './configure --prefix=/opt/lilypond' and
'make install' and the instructions provided to update the info
dir did not work.  Troubleshooting is fact has lead to several
changes I want to propose, but I would like to understand how we
got to this point before I do that.

Thank you,  John