Alternative music keeps staff alive

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Alternative music keeps staff alive
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 08:31:31 +0200

      \new Staff {
        \alternative {
          \volta 2 c'1
        }

  c'1
}

The example above shows that \alternative sometimes keeps staves
alive longer than they should be. I understand that this can look
like a contrived use case; if you want the context, look at the
first image on
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user-fr/2022-07/msg00060.html

Should I create this as a Defect ticket, or should I not have
recommended this syntax in the first place?

Thanks,
Jean