Tablature full notation rests and aethstetics

From: tk5wbps2
Subject: Tablature full notation rests and aethstetics
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2022 00:15:08 -0400

I'm considering contributing to lilypond. The two features I propose are as
follows.

1) An option to include rests in tablature (with \tabFullNotation).
2) An alternative tablature full notation style that more closely resembles
standard notation note heads and stems. To my knowledge as of version 12.13.13
lilypond engraves tablature numbers for half notes as having two stems and half
notes and whole notes without a circle. I propose an option for lilypond to
engrave tablature numbers for half notes or half-note chords with a circle and
a single stem instead of two stems. Whole notes and whole-note chords would be
circled without a stem. In the case of multiple voices, the tablature numbers
of each voice would be circled in the group of notes that share a stem. For
example, this could be a set of voices that have half notes sharing a stem
pointing up and an eighth note with a stem pointing down. Numbers corresponding
half notes would be circled together with an upward stem from the edge of the
circle, and the number corresponding to the eighth note would not be circled or
otherwise changed. If a voice has a half note with stem pointing up and another
voice has a half note with stem pointing down, then the two numbers would be
circled separately, one with an upward stem starting at the edge of the first
circle and another with a downward stem starting at the edge of the second
circle. In scores I've seen with circled tablature numbers, collisions between
numbers and circles are avoided by shifting numbers out of a straight vertical
column, which I suspect is quite different than how tablature is currently
handled internally and might require significant effort to implement, but
that's just a guess.

Are either of these features fit for future lilypond?
Are either of these features currently present, and I've overlooked them? If
so, would you like me to contribute documentation?
I'm only familiar with a subset of C++ up to C++03. Would my lack of knowledge
of modern C++ exclude me from being a contributor? I'm also not an expert on UB
in C++, although I very much want to avoid it. Would that exclude me from being
a contributor?

If the project is interested in my contributions, we can discuss the first
feature in more detail. I'd like to start with the first feature to get
experience with the lilypond source. If all that goes well, then I'd consider
specifying and working on the second feature.