Adding colours 🎨 to 'LM A.7 List of colors'?

From: Mark Fernandes
Subject: Adding colours 🎨 to 'LM A.7 List of colors'?
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 13:52:02 +0100

> I’m not top posting

Hello. I’m new to contributing to LilyPond development, although I use the
software extensively for music notation, having started with LilyPond about
fifteen years ago now. One thing that I personally have found lacking in
the manual documentation in the last couple of years, is the absence of
graphics for the different colours listed in the Appendix: there are only
the text names for the colours. I’ve been using colour a great deal of
late, and I’ve developed my own helper PDF file for my notation work, that
actually shows the actual colours for the different colours. I propose a
documentation change so that the actual colours are shown in the manual, to
make it easier for users to make colour choices for their notation. Below
is a screenshot from my helper PDF file, giving some rough idea of what I
mean. Note that I would probably keep the colour names written in black,
for readability, and then add something like squares showing the actual
colours.

[image: Screenshot from MJF's LilyPond Helper file re. 'colors' section of
LilyPond docs.png]

Please provide feedback.

SECTION OF MANUAL
https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/notation/list-of-colors
LM A.7 List of colors   part of     LM A. Notation manual tables

Does this constitute a 'larger contribution' or a 'small addition'?
This 'terminology' is from '5.3 Documentation suggestions' of 'LilyPond —
Contributor’s Guide v2.23.14 (development-branch)' [
https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/contributor/documentation-suggestions.html
],

Thanks,

Mark Fernandes