Re: Labels for ties and slurs

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Labels for ties and slurs
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 22:34:47 +0200

On Sat, 2022-10-22 at 15:16 +0200, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
> We have many issues related to ties and to slurs. Would anybody mind
> creating two GitLab labels ~"Ties" and ~"Slurs" for these? It would ease
> searching for defects in those specific areas.

Makes sense, seeing the list of issues already added to the labels.

To explain a bit why I asked to discuss adding labels in the past:
Right after the transition to GitLab, before even the first countdown
had happened and everybody was still figuring out how to use the new
platform for LilyPond, we had several new labels created with one or
two issues in them. In the same sweep, label priorities were changed
which would have completely broken the countdown process if I hadn't
intervened and restored the initial setup that a few of us had been
testing for a while in a testing area before the migration.

Yes, labels are cheap, but IMHO having too many of them will make it
less clear which one(s) to apply. Also some of the existing ones are
tied to the infrastructure (such as the Patch labels) or have specific
meanings (such as ~Critical ~Regression blocking a stable release), so
there may be reasons for having it one way or another. And sometimes
there just isn't and it's a purely historic decision 😉

Jonas